Years ago, while I was taking criminal law, I had the opportunity to learn from an ex DPP. He narrated to us how there was one instance where he receives multiple phone calls from the representing lawyer of a convict on death penalty.
I can't remember much details about what he was convicted for, only knowing that he lost his trials and no appeal was granted. He was doomed to be hung.
As a tradition, the capital punishment is carried out only on the dawn of a Friday.
He said, the phone rang persistently throughout the night, where the lawyer tried to submit applications at the last hour to stop the execution. It happened again and again with no regular intervals. As any person would, my tutor got annoyed. He just wanted a good night sleep, only to be interrupted.
As he lay back down on his bed, he realised it was nearing dawn, on a Friday. That person is just trying to save a life, that convict just wanted to live.
How often did we get lazy, get annoyed with certain things, only to realised that what is little to us meant so much to another?
As a retail assistant, sometimes we get lazy to check for stocks, who knows that that one gift, one stock that could be sold to a customer who asks can grant someone's happiness.
As a professional in a legal clinic, every case we clear could speed up the process and change someone's life. Imagine if we would have said, "I will do it tomorrow instead", it could mean that a person will spend another day wronged.
As a police, for every case we say "I will do it later", a child could be still in the hands of a monster.
Be kind to each other, see the bigger picture.
No comments:
Post a Comment