Sunday, January 20, 2019

The Pain of Age.

We wake up one day noticing the ache on our backs that weren't there last week. We squint at the bright lights that we never had to when we opened our eyes in the morning. We developed allergies to the food and seasons we used to love.

Physical. How fast things start to go when the big 2 appear, erasing our teenage years. How fleeting time becomes when there's too much going on as we age.

We perceive pain even more deeply when we have lost. Forever no longer feels dreamlike but a sad reality of losing someone, some things, some moments. Overwhelmed even when we are doing nothing but everything.

I cannot explain or even begin to comprehend everything that's going on. Walking through the crowd as they all become a blur. I try so hard to string my thoughts into words, into sentences but I realised that I can't. How long have I lived in my head to become like this?

The thing about growing old is not only change. But the consequences that come with it. I told a friend just last night, "When we were younger, we have no idea who we are or what we want. But as we grow older, we know what we want and we fight for the things we want. That is why when we lose it, it gets so much harder to get over."

That is also the thing about our society. We are constantly taught that with hard work comes reward, but that's not true. Sometimes even if you really work really hard, even if you did everything right, things still would not go the way you hoped for.

Right now, I dont ask for myself to work hard only. But also to be stronger, to be able to accept the outcome, to be able to move past from pain and suffering. To continue to find happiness in the little things.

As time descends on our faces, our bodies, may we continue to stay strong and young. May we continue to stay innocent and hopeful. May we be forever a child.

No comments: